Sunday, January 25, 2009

Version 1.0.4

Made some minor changes to version 1.0.4.

I've changed the notifications to be less chatty. While many people have enjoyed the constant notifications quite a few others did not, plus they weren't really obeying the notifications rules set in the settings. So hopefully this will fix that issue.

I've also updated the Send Tweet and Copy to Clipboard buttons to also announce how many cigarettes you haven't smoked and how much of your life you've saved by not smoking.


What's next?
The next few things I'll be adding is allowing background updates to twitter. So that at your milestones it will automatically tweet your progress.

I'll then be changing the program slightly to allow multiple smokers to be tracked at one time. The way it saves now supports that, so I'll really only have to be changing the UI around.

After that, I may allow options to e-mail results, or SMS them. I've had a few requests for that.

I've also had some requests for an "I screwed up" button so the user could say, they cheated and had a cigarette. I'm pretty reluctant to add this functionality. You should always keep in mind, that if you ever smoke again, you've destroyed the benefits of having quit up to that point. The goal is to quit for good. You should reset your quit date/time every time you have a cigarette.

Thanks

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kendall,

    Thanks for this. This is a great app. With a few additions I believe that this can be an extremely famous quit smoking application used worldwide. Here is my feedback:

    - To keep people motivated, you need to have much more milestones. Every little change in the health status/monetary benefits can be reflected throughout the day to keep people motivated. If some people are complaining about the high number of notifications, you can add a menu option to set the frequency of the notifications and maybe you can give an importance rating to health benefits and have people choose b/w "show me every health benefit", "show me only the major milestones" or even "don't notify anything at all".

    - Another notification can be for amount of cigarettes we did not smoke. You can again let people to set intervals/ milestones for that as well..

    - The background/fonts and the design is not very eye-friendly, but I'm sure you got that feedback already..

    - A small "I cheated" button, which resets everything and starts the whole thing over.

    - An initial imput by the users to get information on how old are they and how much did they smoke in the past etc.. Using that information you can show a "lung graph" saying "your lung picture capacity is %x right now". And this can improve over time etc..

    again, this is a great app with a lot of potential..

    thanks!

    Oz
    unlu@google.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks unlu.

    The milestones are pulled from a few places. I've had some requests for just random facts. Like smokers are 3x more likely to get cancer.

    Cigs you haven't smoked are in the settings. Just hit menu and go to settings. Scroll down and update for ever x cigarettes would be the notification you're looking for.

    Yeah, the UI is terrible. I'm horrible about UI. I'll try to address that in the next couple of weeks.

    On the setup screen there is a reset button.

    Thanks for the input. I really appreciate getting all the feedback..

    Goodluck in your quit.

    ReplyDelete